Thursday, April 30, 2009

At my expense..

A couple of days ago I sat down to type this blog when as soon as I typed the title some trauma developed in our house. In all the hype of thus said trauma I accidently hit the publish button and unfortunately until now I have not been able to have a quiet moment to blog. So here is what I was going to blog about on tuesday and Ben has anxiously awaited (monday he asked how my day was and I just gave him the "don't even ask or I may not be able to stay calm" look.). Definitely a blog worthy day!
Monday when I got home from work I was exhausted from lack of sleep and thought that a day of running errands was just what I needed to keep moving and stay awake. First on the list was a new remote from comcast because a couple of weeks ago ours died and heaven forbid if I had to get up to change the channel again- although I got pretty good at using the cable box buttons for using the dvr which I didn't know what half those buttons were for. Anyways we were successful at the comcast place and then headed over to the Harbor Freight tool store in search of something to unclog the downstairs toilet which has been clogged longer than the comcast remote has been broken! It's all priorities my friends! So again I hauled all three kids into the store and down the plumbing aisle. Way too many toys for kids to keep hands to themselves- I should have known this. I found kinda what I wanted- a snake to unclog drains but it wasn't a toilet one. So if you've ever seen one of these it's a thick metal wire(for lack of a better description) that winds up in a plastic disc like thing and the wire comes out on one side and theres a crank handle on the other side of this disc. Well while I was searching for something that might better suit our purpose, Riley decided to figure out the snake thing. Before I could catch him he had pulled out about 4 or 5 inches and handed it to me to fix. I have never worked one of these things but thought turning the handle one way would make it come out and surely turning it the other way would make it go in. Oh HOW I WISH THIS WAS TRUE!!! The second I tried to crank it about a foot of the snake shoots out, so I try again and this time about 3 more feet shoots out and you know since I'm such a slow learner I thought sure enough one more crank would do the job .... and it did- the entire snake shot out of the disc emptying about thirty feet of wire on the floor where it hit with a loud crash! Immediately I made the Oh MY GOSH face and looked up- directly down the aisle were TWO harbor freight employees looking at me as if to say "What in the world is that crazy lady doing!".
All I could do was shrug and mouth the words help- because of course I was speechless and embarrassed. Also by then the kids had huddle down by Owens carseat for shelter from the snake thing which made it look even more like the whole thing was because of some dumb lady! Of course the employees came to help although the one didn't look too happy. I apologized about a hundred times and they were able to return the snake to the shelves a few minutes later for some other poor soul to buy. So in this situation do you run out of the store with three kids running beside you? (Which to me basically admits that I had no place in a tool store! Which I am tool savvy- right Ben?) Or do you stay and look around pretending you have other tools to purchase. I did the latter and actually found a new tire for our wheelbarrow! See, I belong in a tool store -not just home depot!!!! Anyways I always tell Ben- kids are kids and they are not out to "get" you. This day I begged to differ and may (only may) never say this again. One day my kids will get a good laugh at this story at my expense!

1 comment:

Stacee said...

I know what you mean about kids and stuff at the store they like to play with. I've had my kids get into lots of things while out and about. I don't take them very often with me to the store.